How to use
The SquashMyCar App for iPhone & Android allows you to create stunning miniature car images. Here’s how!
1. Open your app and press start! When you hear that engine roar into life and see the dashboard light up you are ready to choose between taking a photo or using an image stored on your device. When you take a photo or use a stored image make sure it is taken side-on just like in the picture below.
2. Now the discs appear. Put your finger on the left disc and move it so that it covers the left wheel. Now move the right disc to the right wheel in the same way. Press the green arrow.
3. You arrive at screen 3/5
Enlarge each circle with your finger so that each wheel and a portion of wheel arch is covered. As you get to know the SquashMyCar app you can experiment here – with some cars only a tiny bit of wheel arch is needed, with others they look great when a lot of wheel arch is included.
4. When you press the green arrow the doors will close. They will open to reveal that body of the car has been squashed and the round wheels will appear on top ready to be put in place.
5. Touch each wheel and move it to where it looks just right. Remember, you can put the wheels where you like but they look best if you get all the bodywork around each wheel within the bodywork of the squashed down car. If you don’t you can be left with wheels sticking out like on the screen shot above.
When you have positioned the wheels just right, press the green arrow and the doors will close. When they open you have your final squashed car!
Personalisation -Turning Your Squashed Car into a Profile Picture
To turn Your Squashed Car into a unique profile picture for use on Facebook, Twitter or other sites requiring a User Image you can move the image around when you upload it to get it looking just right. Every site works in a slightly different way. If you find that the site you are uploading to will not let you move the image as you want it, before you upload it simply crop your image into a square shape. To do this you can use the cropping tool on apps like Instagram and others. Once uploaded, your favourite car is now your unique profile picture. Congratulations and … SQUASH IT!
Below is a list of our Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I turn the sound off? Yes, you can use your phone’s volume control and there is also a volume on/off icon on the opening screen.
- Can I take a photo from any angle? The app works best when a photo is taken from the side, although sometimes a slight angle can work. Try to get close up to the car and fill the screen as much as possible from left to right (a car in the distance will not work well). One of the enjoyable things about Squash My Car is to experiment with photos and see what works best for you.
- How big should the car be in the viewfinder? For best results use as much space as possible by filling the viewfinder with the car. This means getting close to the car and ensuring the screen is filled from left to right. If the car is too far in the distance there will be too much empty space for it to work well.
- Can people be in the picture too? It is best to avoid people or other close objects when taking the photograph.
- Why do I need to include the wheel arches? This enables the app to blend the wheels back into the bodywork after the squash.
- How much of the wheel arch should be included? Just a small amount of wheel arch is fine. Ensure that the highlighted circle covers each wheel and a bit of wheel arch. Remember you can experiment using different amounts of wheel arch to get the ‘perfect’ squashed car.
- When I move the highlighted circles my finger obscures my view. What can I do? On screen 2/5 (placing circles over wheels) touch the circles then move your finger above or below them to ensure a good view. On screen 3/5 (resizing the circles over the wheels and a bit of wheel arch) touch the top of the circle and press firmly. Move your finger up to expand the circle and back down to decrease its size. On screen 4/5 (placing the wheels where they look best) make sure you place your finger on the wheel then move it into position. You can move both wheels by placing one finger above each wheel at the same time. If the wheel disappears at any time just tap the top of your screen and it will reappear.
- I was moving a wheel and it disappeared! What can I do? (Android users only) On screen 4/5 (placing the wheels where they look best) make sure you place your finger above the wheel then move it into position. You can move both wheels by placing one finger above each wheel at the same time. If the wheel disappears at any time just tap the top of your screen and it will reappear. It will have disappeared because you touched underneath it.
- Can I take a picture of any car? As long as the vehicle has no more than two wheels on each side, then yes, but you can still have fun experimenting with any vehicle. Squash My Car has been made to work with most vehicles but it will have better results with some more than others.
- Can I change the ‘squash’ size? No. The squash size is set at a default level for optimum results and ease of use.
- Does image quality matter? Yes. The better the quality of the image you use to ‘squash’ the better the result will be. When using your camera, try to keep still and avoid shaking which might blur or distort the image. If using images stored on your device, try to use images with a good resolution to achieve the best results.
- Can I use images of any size? On Android devices there is a minimum image size of 480 x 480 pixels. The app will inform you if the image you are trying to use is too small. There is also a maximum image size, but this depends on the memory capacity of the device you are using. The app will inform you if the image you are trying to squash is too big. On iPhone and iPod touch very small images will be scaled up, and as above maximum image sizes will be determined by your device.
NEED MORE HELP? Get in touch from our Contact Page.